Effective representation in the corporate/transactional field only begins with legal and technical expertise. It also requires good listening skills, a commitment to understanding the nature of a client’s business, and an unwavering focus on achieving optimal results.
The attorneys of Conn Kavanaugh’s Corporate/Transactional practice share all of these characteristics, along with a dedication to attentive, responsive service. Our business clients include private and public enterprises, family businesses, licensed professionals, and entrepreneurs representative of major sectors of the economy.
Transactional experience is a particular strength of our Corporate/Transactional team. Our business attorneys have decades of experience negotiating deals for acquiring and selling companies. We are strong advocates and skilled negotiators, and approach every deal with insight and diligence designed to identify and resolve issues so that they do not become unwelcome problems after the deal has closed.
Members of our Corporate/Transactional practice have a broad range of skills. This versatility allows them to remain a principal point of contact with our business clients and to move freely across multiple disciplines to ensure continuity of representation.
- Represented leading manufacturer of high-quality multi-color pressure-sensitive labels in effecting sale to private equity-backed strategic buyer.
- Represented company with premier student information software system in effecting sale to established educational publisher.
- Represented leading regional IT staffing company and coordinated efforts with accounting and investment banking professionals in effecting sale to a publicly-held industry leader.
- Represented top performing luxury home improvement franchisee in negotiating and closing on sale to affiliate of its Canadian franchisor.
- Represented family member in structuring and acquiring full ownership from first generation of all-girls summer camp and provided ongoing advice and counsel in growth of facilities and campers. Years later negotiated and successfully closed on sale of camp to outside company with aggressive expansion plans for acquisition of New England summer camps.
- Represented start-up enterprise software company in effecting development, growth, and expansion strategies including structuring of strategic partnerships and license agreements with key customers.
- Represented leading supermarket chain in preparing supply, marketing, own brand development, distribution, publishing, and other vendor agreements.
- Represented national manufacturer and distributor of consumer products in the lawn and garden category in connection with cross-border matters, product and trademark licensing, strategic partnerships, product development, intellectual property, and eventual sale to private equity group.
- Represented the corporate owner of two retail stores in improving a strained business relationship with its sole supplier by restructuring their franchise like agreement, including transferring operations of one store to the supplier while maintaining favorable lease terms for our client’s affiliated landlord entity.
- Represented the minority owner of a financial services company in purchasing the stock of the founder/majority owner.
- Represented a solar power technology company in structuring, negotiating and documenting a preferred class of ownership interests to be issued to a new investor.
- Represented a transportation services company based in the United Kingdom in its expansion into the New England market, including negotiation of employment and stock ownership arrangements with the CEO of the new U.S. subsidiary.
- Represented a company in the fuel industry in multiple acquisitions of similar businesses, in structuring arrangements with a key supplier, and in a purchase of real estate with particular emphasis on protection against potential environmental law claims.
- Represented a principal of an environmental services company in structuring equity ownership and employment arrangements. Later represented this company as it expanded its geographic base of operations by multiple strategic acquisitions of similar businesses with complementary expertise.
- Represented a regional marine transportation company in several acquisitions and sales of vessels, including associated financing and refinancing transactions.