Conn Kavanaugh has extensive experience advising businesses and individuals who are the subject of criminal or regulatory investigations or proceedings. Several of our partners are former prosecutors, and that expertise is brought to every case we handle. Each case involves mastery of the underlying facts and an assessment of the risks and exposure so that important decisions can be made. Many of our clients are individuals, for whom the experience can be particularly difficult.
The criminal and regulatory matters handled by Conn Kavanaugh involve a close working relationship with counsel for other parties, usually under a protected joint-defense arrangement. Also, the centerpiece of our successful representation of clients in this area is the credibility we have with prosecutors. We pride ourselves on being known as tough negotiators who are not afraid of taking cases to trial.
Conn Kavanaugh has a thorough understanding of the many and complex federal and state laws in this area. We stay abreast of trends in the law, some of which develop rapidly. Our goal, in any case, is to assist our clients in assessing risks and deciding strategy. We prepare every case intending to present it to a jury, but we quickly assess whether a negotiated resolution is the preferred course.
Conn Kavanaugh also represents business entities who may have been victims of criminal conduct by employees or others. We are experienced in conducting confidential internal investigations to identify wrongdoers, assess harm, and recommend remedial action.
Compliance / Internal Investigations
- Conducting complex internal investigations into allegations of workplace misconduct, fraud and false billing schemes.
- Conducting internal investigation into allegations of sexual harassment and work-place misconduct.
- Conducting internal investigation into potential wage and hour violations, tax fraud and financial misconduct by client company’s employees.
- Conducting internal investigation of alleged broker misconduct on behalf of client company.
State / Federal Fraud Charges
- Representation of individual who was the subject of federal anti-kickback investigation involving pharmaceutical company and clinic.
- Representation of senior executive for allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and claims of trade secret violations, successfully obtaining dismissal of all claims prior to trial without payment.
- Representation of companies who are victims of internal fraud, conducting internal investigations to assess the extent of the wrongdoing and representing the companies’ interests throughout the prosecution.
- Representation of a law firm and principle shareholder under federal investigation for obtaining and causing kickbacks and unearned fees in connection with an alleged mortgage fraud scheme.
- Representation of Executive in defense of allegations of bank fraud of over twenty million dollars.
- Representation of family members victimized by the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Representation of business executives and their companies in defense of civil racketeering charges, successfully obtaining a directed verdict at trial.
- Representation of attorneys before the Board of Bar Overseers in disciplinary proceedings.
- Representation of attorneys and law firms in defense of legal malpractice and fraudulent misrepresentation charges.
- Representation of individual accountant for Bank accused of accounting errors and material wrongdoing.
- Representation of immunized witness in tax fraud investigation.
- Representation of employees of company accused of federal tax fraud.
State / Federal Investigations
- Representation of senior health care executive against federal allegations of false claims and health care fraud, successfully keeping client from indictment.
- Representation of insurers in defense of criminal victims’ law suits against the insured.
- Representation of numerous individuals involved in state and federal grand jury investigations.
- Representation of individuals in federal health care fraud investigations.
- Representation of businesses and individuals as witnesses in criminal trade regulation investigation.
- Multiple representations of health care providers before Boards of Registration.
- Representation of individual charged with vehicular homicide.
- Representation of individual charged with felony assault on a law enforcement officer during airport confrontation.
- Representation of individual charged with identity fraud, computer violations, and wiretap and privacy violations.
- Representation of individual in appeal and new trial motion after sex offense convictions.
- Representation of individual accused of felony assault and reckless endangerment though use of a car to crash through building.
- Representation of individuals in violation of domestic restraining orders.