April 5, 2018
Employers & Employees Behaving Badly: Claims, Trends & Savvy StrategiesMary ('Beth') E. O'Neal
chaired the event "Employers & Employees Behaving Badly: Claims, Trends & Savvy Strategies
," which was held by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, New England on Thursday, April 5, 2018.
This program addressed the issues facing employers and employees dealing with bad behavior by the other party — and recognizing bad behavior in themselves. The panel discussed real situations, and provided practical tips and guidance on how to prevent and remedy bad behavior.
- Tips for conducting workplace investigations into complaints of bad behavior — and the lawyer's role (for both employer and employee)
- The use (and misuse) of social media during the pre-hiring process and during employment
- When employers should conduct criminal background checks and how to do so lawfully
- What to do about the applicant with a criminal record, including the registered sex offender
- When employers should conduct pre-employment and post-hiring drug and alcohol screening and how to do so legally
- Tips for advising employers on how to handle, document, and "manage out" the problem employee
- How to develop and critique an effective performance appraisal system and use it to your advantage
- How to handle the often-times conflicting issues of bad behavior and an employee's privacy rights